Skip to main content

our new house! {exterior}


Finally getting around to sharing our newest adventure, our 1960’s ranch- style fixer upper we purchased on Lake Murray.  If you’ve read my blog or know me, you know I’ve wanted to get ON the lake for a while now…I grew up on the lake and there is just something about lake livin’ that I LOVE.  But of course, with that dream, comes a much bigger price tag.  Due to the fact that my amazing daddy is a contractor, we knew that buying a fixer upper would be the way to go right now.  The process was not without craziness and stress, but I’m so happy with where we ended up.  We walked away from a previous fixer upper, that had a much better lake “view” and even bigger lot (a full acre)…but was FULL of asbestos and our renovation budget was shot because the asbestos clean-up was so expensive.  We lived with my in laws for THREE months during this process …. Meanwhile kind of waiting the market out before we decided to rent.  However, this house was listed a little more than we were willing to pay for it, but as luck would have it…the owners are friends of my parents, so when they couldn’t sell for that price, they sold to us!  Patience paid off for us.  We moved into this house on Halloween weekend, and “rented” it (since it was empty and we knew the owners) until we closed on it at the end of 2016.  By doing it that way, we knew we would have to live through our renovation, but the other options just didn’t make sense.  We didn’t want to live with my in laws for 6 more months (which is what it would have been by the time we closed on the house and completed the renovations) and we didn’t want to rent something for 6 months…just seemed silly and expensive.  So, here we are… living through our renovations but happy as can be to making this home “ours.”  

 

There are SO,SO many things I want to do to this house.  The list goes on and on and on.  But, alas…this is real life and I have a real life budget (insert sad face).  We will probably be working on projects for years to come…but phase ONE of the renovation (which will probably be the biggest phase as the rest will be “one project at a time” type deals) includes a kitchen makeover, turning a bedroom into a master bath and closet, and enclosing the carport to make a bigger playroom and have a mudroom and inside laundry room!  I’m pretty sure the mudroom is one of the features I am MOST excited about in this house! 

 

Without further ado…. I’m sharing the EXTERIOR of our little ranch today, in its BEFORE state.  This is how it looked when we bought it.  The house is currently about 1950 sq. feet and the lot is .7 acres, we absolutely love the huge, flat backyard and spend a LOT of our time there.  We are currently in the process of enclosing the carport (which will make total square footage almost 2200), so that’ll change the look of the front of the house and the entire exterior of the house is going to be painted, we are leaning towards some shade of white.  The deck and dock are both in need of updating, but those projects will have to wait.  They are functional and that’s all we need for now, as our focus is on the interior for phase one.








 I'll be sharing the inside tomorrow!
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2019 family Village Creek trip

Our 2019 summer family vacation was everything I could have asked for, and more!  This year, my parents and nephew joined us for the week so we had extra fun!  (and extra chaos of course, too!)  We did ALL the things, but yet also did ALL the relaxing.  We arrived on G and T's actual, bday so we started our trip with a special birthday lunch in downtown Beaufort with just the boys since Collins rode down with my mom.  We also finally experienced the drive in movie that night for Toy Story 4 and it was AWESOME!  We only had one day of cloudy weather so that was awesome!  We ventured to Bohicket Marina, Harbor Town, Harbor Island, Edisto Island, Botany Bay, our favorite sandbar AND downtown Beaufort by boat, we had a ball!   My dad got some AMAZING fireworks and we had a little show for the culdesac, so much fun!!  Mikey and I even got to sneak out one night for a date night, headed to our fav, Sal

My Pinterest inspired master bedroom makeover part one.

The BEFORE pictures. I've been itching to re-do my master bedroom for quite some time now. I am one of those people that likes to re decorate quite often...unfortunately for my bank account. Mikey's mom bought him a full queen sized bedroom suite when he graduated college, which was wonderful. It is very nice furniture and has served us well. But, I am SOOO sick of all the dark matchy-matchy look it brings. I will use this furniture again in a guest bedroom one day...but for now, it's time to retire it from my master. All of my bedding and rug I had previously...I've now had this zebra/brown/green theme for almost 4 years...so over it! Fortunately for us...my brother and SIL got a new bed...so what do we get?? Their old KING size bed!! Woohoo. I do NOT like for people to touch me when I sleep, I need my space...I've been wanting a king for so long. Even though our room isn't the biggest the king is working out okay...we aren't going to be in this h

These are the days.

Goodness gracious, I LOVE summer.  I talk it to death every year, but it is especially important to me during this season of life where the school year brings homework/schedules/strict bed times/extra curricular craziness- I appreciate the LAZY days of summer EVEN MORE. I've tried to be intentional about taking a half day here and there to soak up TIME with my babies.  Because Lord knows, they aren't babies for long.  (Yes, I'm referring to my 7 and 5 year olds as babies- #cantstopwontstop ) When we returned from our anniversary trip, we got back early on a Tuesday and used the rest of the day to spend quality family time together.  We took the kids to a local water park, this was all of our first time visiting- and we had a ball!   That same week, my girl and I dressed up and attended her very first company banquet for dance, too much fun!  Lake days with friends are sooooo good for me- we've so enjoyed many of them this summer