Skip to main content

What's in a name?

I tell ya, the name game is HARD. Really hard. I never thought that I'd be 27 years old and pregnant and not know what I wanted to name my child. I *think* we have come up with the one, but I'm not quite ready to put it out for the world to see...you know, don't want to many people rushing to get monogrammed bubbles. Ha! Jokes!

Anyways...so I can look back and remember what all we went thru to come up with a name in 20 years I am going to lay it all out there.

I'll start with saying I want a family name to be somewhere in my children's names. It doesn't have to be a first name, but some name in the child's name I want to be from a family member/family.

We'll start with boys names, because they got taken off the table when we found out it was a GIRL..this will be short. Mikey's middle name is Thomas...his grandfather's name is Thomas. So...we always said Thomas would be in our son's name. I always thought it would be cool to do a Thomas _____ Glenn and call him "Trace." *Side bar, I like different names* Well...Mikey does NOT like that...dang it. His brother's name is Trey...so a Trey Glenn and a Trace Glenn are too similar anyways. AND we looked it up and Trace comes from Tracy and he did not want his son being named after a Tracy. Anyways...I digress...it doesn't really matter b/c he didn't like it regardless. We SEARCHED for all boy family names. Y'all there is NOTHING. NOTHING. Mikey's dad is a junior and his brother is a third...so that line of names is out for us. My dad is Kenneth O'Neal, my brother Matthew O'neal (after my grandfather who was Robert O'neal)...so O'neal was out and Kenneth...eehhh. Not so much. My grandfathers names were Robert and Willy...way too many Roberts around and Willy, not so much. We already knew we were definitely using Thomas from one of Mikey's Grandfathers and the other one is out because of Mikey's brother being named after him. So we got NOTHING. If we ever have a boy...who knows what the little tykes name will be. It is so hard to come up with something that both mommy and daddy love. But, that's enough about the boy names for now since it really doesn't matter.

On to the girls. For the past 4 or 5 years I have LOVED the name Mary Hollis. I met a woman in Greenville when my brother got married whose name was Hollis and I just fell in love. But, love double names so really LOVED Mary Hollis. Well....5 years later, I still love that name, BUT...Mikey doesn't really dig double names. AND...one high school BFF named her daughter Mary Mac, and another high school BFF who is a couple weeks ahead of me liked the name Mary Brooks even before I liked Mary Hollis and that's what her little girl will be called. I was not going to have three best friends with three little girls all with Mary- something double names. That'd be a little much...can you imagine us during play dates? Ha! Again...we started searching over TONS of family names...my mom...Donna Lynn Putnam Richardson (yeah...no thanks), Mikey's mom is Susan Elizabeth (Susan...old school, Elizabeth is Mikey's sister's and niece's middle name.) Let me just give you a run down of our grandmother's names so you can laugh with me (RIP to all of them, love you, but the names...not so much!) Mine: Imogene and Zelma. His: Carmen and Nanny (yes, that was her legal name). So....yeah, not much to work with. And while I love and want to incorporate family names...it just doesn't really mean as much to me if it is someone I or Mikey never met. In other words...I'm not trying to go up the family tree 4 generations just to have a "family" name.

Anyways...we've thrown around TONS of names lately and I think we finally are done. We are using the name right now to make sure it's the one. Maybe I'm being over dramatic about choosing a name, but I want a good name that both Mikey and I love. I don't want to just feel "so so" about the name of our child.

So, if anyone is still reading...ha, that sums it up. Names are HARD. Especially when family names leave little to be desired. Name reveal hopefully to come soon. We do need to make a decision at some point b/c momma's gotta start monogramming:)

Comments

  1. I like Carmen. She'd be born with red lipstick :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No DOUBT names are hard. So much pressure, so many opinions! And I've never heard of anyone having so many family names taken already. Wowzers! I can't wait to hear the name; I'm sure it will be gorgeous, just like her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Names are super important, your little lady will have that name her whole life. I can sympathize with how you feel, I may have been a teensy bit overdramatic myself when choosing our baby's name. **for evidence see my first sentence - I blame hormones :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a running list of my future kids names..and I haven't even factored in the fact that my future husband may have ideas of his own haha :) the name thing is so tough though! i had a hard enough time picking my pups name out (he's definitely a Riley) and then a week later my bff got a pup and also named her pup Rylee...so much for being different! good luck

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're 100% correct to be taking the name-choosing really seriously! The last thing you want is to regret what you pick! Aaron and I were never quite sure of a name until about a week before each baby was born, but we did go around 'using' the potential names for awhile. It's amazing how much you can love a name until you start pretending to yell it on the playground, or think about what it will get shortened too. We had a boy name we LOVED until we realized the initials would have been STD! whoops! Can't wait to hear your winning name! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I dunno, I kinda like Zelma. :)I'm all about old names made new and fabulous again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2019 family Village Creek trip

Our 2019 summer family vacation was everything I could have asked for, and more!  This year, my parents and nephew joined us for the week so we had extra fun!  (and extra chaos of course, too!)  We did ALL the things, but yet also did ALL the relaxing.  We arrived on G and T's actual, bday so we started our trip with a special birthday lunch in downtown Beaufort with just the boys since Collins rode down with my mom.  We also finally experienced the drive in movie that night for Toy Story 4 and it was AWESOME!  We only had one day of cloudy weather so that was awesome!  We ventured to Bohicket Marina, Harbor Town, Harbor Island, Edisto Island, Botany Bay, our favorite sandbar AND downtown Beaufort by boat, we had a ball!   My dad got some AMAZING fireworks and we had a little show for the culdesac, so much fun!!  Mikey and I even got to sneak out one night for a date night, headed to our fav, Sal

My Pinterest inspired master bedroom makeover part one.

The BEFORE pictures. I've been itching to re-do my master bedroom for quite some time now. I am one of those people that likes to re decorate quite often...unfortunately for my bank account. Mikey's mom bought him a full queen sized bedroom suite when he graduated college, which was wonderful. It is very nice furniture and has served us well. But, I am SOOO sick of all the dark matchy-matchy look it brings. I will use this furniture again in a guest bedroom one day...but for now, it's time to retire it from my master. All of my bedding and rug I had previously...I've now had this zebra/brown/green theme for almost 4 years...so over it! Fortunately for us...my brother and SIL got a new bed...so what do we get?? Their old KING size bed!! Woohoo. I do NOT like for people to touch me when I sleep, I need my space...I've been wanting a king for so long. Even though our room isn't the biggest the king is working out okay...we aren't going to be in this h

These are the days.

Goodness gracious, I LOVE summer.  I talk it to death every year, but it is especially important to me during this season of life where the school year brings homework/schedules/strict bed times/extra curricular craziness- I appreciate the LAZY days of summer EVEN MORE. I've tried to be intentional about taking a half day here and there to soak up TIME with my babies.  Because Lord knows, they aren't babies for long.  (Yes, I'm referring to my 7 and 5 year olds as babies- #cantstopwontstop ) When we returned from our anniversary trip, we got back early on a Tuesday and used the rest of the day to spend quality family time together.  We took the kids to a local water park, this was all of our first time visiting- and we had a ball!   That same week, my girl and I dressed up and attended her very first company banquet for dance, too much fun!  Lake days with friends are sooooo good for me- we've so enjoyed many of them this summer