Skip to main content

Let freedom ring!!!

The 4th of July tends to be one of my favorite holidays.  Obviously, I am VERY patriotic and I love celebrating our amazing country.  But, I think it also has to do with the fact that this holiday is all about the SUMMER to me.  You grill out, you spend time on the water, you watch fireworks, you eat watermelon, you know…all things “summery.”  And I LOVE it.  We have been in Beaufort more times than not recently on the 4th of July, but this year we stayed home.  So, it wasn’t quite the normal “holiday” for me because Mikey and I still worked on Friday…but we still had a WONDERFUL 4th

Our day started early with a neighborhood parade.  Here’s a funny little story about that.  When we moved into our neighborhood, Mikey had big thoughts of LOTS neighborhood activities.   He grew up in a hood that always had LOTS going on, and me having NEVER lived in a neighborhood, I was excited!  Well, let’s just say the first year we lived here, we saw NOTHING.  We were a little disappointed.  I think the last social chair got burnt out and they never got a replacement.  Well, the new board is trying to get that going again, so they had been sending out e-mails asking for volunteers…well, I called one day to reserve the clubhouse and offered to “help” with anything and casually mentioned the 4th of July parade…and well, what do you know…just like that…it was ALL ME! Ha!  The girl who has never lived in a neighborhood and never even witnessed a “neighborhood” parade was all of a sudden in charge.  But, really….how hard could it be?  And it turns out, it wasn’t.  I was nervous about the turn out, but it actually ended up really good.  It was MUGGY and HOT, but everyone seemed to have a good time.  I am so glad we did it and hope we will now start having a few social events in the neighborhood every now and then.  It is the best way to meet people. 


Collins took a nap after the parade (and so did Mikey and I) and then it was time for the LAKE!  We had one other couple join us and we went and met my family out on the boat.  We literally just tied up in one spot and hung out all day…swimming, eating, drinking, and having a great time.  A few of our other friends joined throughout the day.  It was definitely a fun day on the water.  We didn’t get back home until 7:30 and still had to cook out!  We all went to my parents’ house and grilled hot dogs, burgers, had baked beans and coleslaw (see, such a summer meal, right??).  My mom was keeping Collins for us on Friday so she spent the night and Mikey and I were back home asleep by 10:30.   We had such a good holiday. 
Happy birthday to THE greatest country on earth!!

Comments

  1. You go girl! Our 'hood has a parade, too, and I think it's so cute! Collins's little outfit is adorable!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2019 family Village Creek trip

Our 2019 summer family vacation was everything I could have asked for, and more!  This year, my parents and nephew joined us for the week so we had extra fun!  (and extra chaos of course, too!)  We did ALL the things, but yet also did ALL the relaxing.  We arrived on G and T's actual, bday so we started our trip with a special birthday lunch in downtown Beaufort with just the boys since Collins rode down with my mom.  We also finally experienced the drive in movie that night for Toy Story 4 and it was AWESOME!  We only had one day of cloudy weather so that was awesome!  We ventured to Bohicket Marina, Harbor Town, Harbor Island, Edisto Island, Botany Bay, our favorite sandbar AND downtown Beaufort by boat, we had a ball!   My dad got some AMAZING fireworks and we had a little show for the culdesac, so much fun!!  Mikey and I even got to sneak out one night for a date night, headed to our fav, Sal

My Pinterest inspired master bedroom makeover part one.

The BEFORE pictures. I've been itching to re-do my master bedroom for quite some time now. I am one of those people that likes to re decorate quite often...unfortunately for my bank account. Mikey's mom bought him a full queen sized bedroom suite when he graduated college, which was wonderful. It is very nice furniture and has served us well. But, I am SOOO sick of all the dark matchy-matchy look it brings. I will use this furniture again in a guest bedroom one day...but for now, it's time to retire it from my master. All of my bedding and rug I had previously...I've now had this zebra/brown/green theme for almost 4 years...so over it! Fortunately for us...my brother and SIL got a new bed...so what do we get?? Their old KING size bed!! Woohoo. I do NOT like for people to touch me when I sleep, I need my space...I've been wanting a king for so long. Even though our room isn't the biggest the king is working out okay...we aren't going to be in this h

These are the days.

Goodness gracious, I LOVE summer.  I talk it to death every year, but it is especially important to me during this season of life where the school year brings homework/schedules/strict bed times/extra curricular craziness- I appreciate the LAZY days of summer EVEN MORE. I've tried to be intentional about taking a half day here and there to soak up TIME with my babies.  Because Lord knows, they aren't babies for long.  (Yes, I'm referring to my 7 and 5 year olds as babies- #cantstopwontstop ) When we returned from our anniversary trip, we got back early on a Tuesday and used the rest of the day to spend quality family time together.  We took the kids to a local water park, this was all of our first time visiting- and we had a ball!   That same week, my girl and I dressed up and attended her very first company banquet for dance, too much fun!  Lake days with friends are sooooo good for me- we've so enjoyed many of them this summer