Skip to main content

A boring post about money. (Ugh)

I’ve come to a conclusion. 

 

Either:

 

a)      The LARGE majority of the country uses credit cards (a lot)

OR

b)      A LOT of people make a LOT of money….



For real, y’all.  I feel like no matter how much money I make, it’s never enough.  Do y’all have days like that?

 

I’m just baffled.  I feel like to be 29 (ahem…a few more months I can say this and I am clinging to it for as long as possible) and 30, Mikey and I do decently well.  We aren’t loaded by ANY stretch of the imagination, we aren’t even a couple that “does pretty well for themselves” by other peoples standards…but we make a decent living.  Granted, we have a LOT of debt/expenses right now that will go away within the next 5-7 years (student loans and day care!!).  I’m sure other stuff will come up, but until we have car payments for our kid(s) and/or college tuition to worry about I don’t know how anything could compare to spending about $1500/month in student loans and daycare.  (And it’s only going to get worse before it gets better as we will have another babe (God willing) before C is in 5 year old kindergarten/public/free school.)  But, my student loans will be paid off in less than 6 years and I don’t imagine us paying day care or at least multiple daycares 7 years from now.  So, what gives??

 

I see other people who live pretty comfortably and buy nice things ALL.THE.TIME.  And for the life of me, I can’t figure it out….do they make that much more money than us?  Or is it credit cards?  I realize I don’t know everyone’s situations either…as there will always be people who have family money, etc. but for the most part…it seems I know a LOT of people who live pretty fabulously and I want to know HOW?!!  Of course I know I shouldn’t compare myself to others and just worry about me and my family (thank you, husband) but I just can’t help it sometimes.  We all do it.  Right?

 

I know I overspend.  Mikey is the saver, not me.  I know I like nice things.  I know I spend way too much money on stuff for my house.  BUT, SO DO OTHER PEOPLE.  We only use credit cards for BIG purchases that we can pay off at 0% interest so we don’t tie up our cash.  Every once in a while we get our one credit card up a bit and then have to pay it off…but for the most part we are not credit card people.  I don’t even own one…can’t do it.  Too tempting for me.   We are currently putting away money each month for: Collins’ education, both of our retirement accounts, a “Christmas” fund, savings, and we have whole life insurance policies on all three of us…which is much more expensive than term.  So, we do put a LOT of money towards “good” things.  But, gee golly…when will I ever be able to spend $500 on new lighting and not have to think twice about it?  How rich do you have to be? 

 

I don’t mean to sound so whiny and ungrateful, because that’s not how I feel.  I am grateful for all we have, we have both worked hard to get here….I think I am more just baffled/in awe of how much money it takes to “live big.”  Does that make sense?  I feel like I am going to be one of those people that could be broke and make $200k/year.  Seriously.  I would find a way to spend it, that’s just how I am.  Thankfully, Mikey’s not.  And he would never allow it.  But, that’s just how I feel right now.  I’m wondering when I’ll ever feel “comfortable?”  And, please enlighten me, is the rest of the world putting their designer clothes and furniture and bags on credit?  It would make me feel a lot better if the answer was yes.  Ha!  I don’t have that option, thankfully.  I had an Amex one time and had to get rid of it…no can do for me. 

 

When will I ever make enough money to feel like I have enough? 

 

Sorry for the gloom and doom. 

 

Happy hump day!

 

xoxo


Comments

  1. Just started reading your blog recently, and yes, I am old enough to be your mama, but your little one is so darn cute I just have to keep coming back!
    And just for the record, most of those people are living waaaay beyond their means! There is a blog I read everyday and the blogger was always writing about the new "stuff" she was buying. I always wondered what it was her husband did to allow her to spend as she did and she was a stay at home mom. Well, not long ago she wrote a post about how she was always using credit cards to purchase what she wanted and how she had a lot of debt. Believe me, even at my age I see it. I have a friend that I found out has a house that is worth a lot less than they paid for it, and they have one of those loans where right now they are just paying the interest! Their daughter told mine that some times they can't pay their bills, but you'd never know it by the way the wife buys things and goes on expensive trips.
    So, don't feel bad, most of us will never be able to buy $500 light fixtures and not think twice. And the ones that are doing it are going to be paying for that light fixture for many years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you;-) she's a mess!!

    I read that SAME post and was shocked!! Especially over how many people commented saying they have credit card debt too!! Ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm an avid reader too from the Lowcountry :)

    This has been heavy on my mind for a while now too. I have the exact same situation (1 4.5 year old with private school expenses-and only b/c he isn't old enough for 5K yet-, both husband and I work and make very decent money, etc) and I watch most of our friends spend, spend, spend and just don't understand how I can't feel like I'm living paycheck to paycheck. Like you, we have retirement accounts, Christmas club, savings for Stryker (my son) and whole life insurance. Maybe no one else is spending that kind of money on those IMPORTANT things (at least they rank REALLY important to me!)? I just don't get it.

    I have a few friends that own TWO houses (renting one), have TWO kids, and drive TWO brand spankin new cars. HOW?!?!?!!? My husband reminds me they are the "new America": Instant gratification. I want it, I get it... no matter what. Well, I will not be living that way.

    Glad to know I'm not the only one out there thinking these things :) Meanwhile, we'll continue to do what we do and be grateful knowing that in the future our children will be educated (hopefully without debt!) and we can travel during our retirement!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl, all your friends are broke! Ha!! You should listen to Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover. It's spot on!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2019 family Village Creek trip

Our 2019 summer family vacation was everything I could have asked for, and more!  This year, my parents and nephew joined us for the week so we had extra fun!  (and extra chaos of course, too!)  We did ALL the things, but yet also did ALL the relaxing.  We arrived on G and T's actual, bday so we started our trip with a special birthday lunch in downtown Beaufort with just the boys since Collins rode down with my mom.  We also finally experienced the drive in movie that night for Toy Story 4 and it was AWESOME!  We only had one day of cloudy weather so that was awesome!  We ventured to Bohicket Marina, Harbor Town, Harbor Island, Edisto Island, Botany Bay, our favorite sandbar AND downtown Beaufort by boat, we had a ball!   My dad got some AMAZING fireworks and we had a little show for the culdesac, so much fun!!  Mikey and I even got to sneak out one night for a date night, headed to our fav, Sal

My Pinterest inspired master bedroom makeover part one.

The BEFORE pictures. I've been itching to re-do my master bedroom for quite some time now. I am one of those people that likes to re decorate quite often...unfortunately for my bank account. Mikey's mom bought him a full queen sized bedroom suite when he graduated college, which was wonderful. It is very nice furniture and has served us well. But, I am SOOO sick of all the dark matchy-matchy look it brings. I will use this furniture again in a guest bedroom one day...but for now, it's time to retire it from my master. All of my bedding and rug I had previously...I've now had this zebra/brown/green theme for almost 4 years...so over it! Fortunately for us...my brother and SIL got a new bed...so what do we get?? Their old KING size bed!! Woohoo. I do NOT like for people to touch me when I sleep, I need my space...I've been wanting a king for so long. Even though our room isn't the biggest the king is working out okay...we aren't going to be in this h

These are the days.

Goodness gracious, I LOVE summer.  I talk it to death every year, but it is especially important to me during this season of life where the school year brings homework/schedules/strict bed times/extra curricular craziness- I appreciate the LAZY days of summer EVEN MORE. I've tried to be intentional about taking a half day here and there to soak up TIME with my babies.  Because Lord knows, they aren't babies for long.  (Yes, I'm referring to my 7 and 5 year olds as babies- #cantstopwontstop ) When we returned from our anniversary trip, we got back early on a Tuesday and used the rest of the day to spend quality family time together.  We took the kids to a local water park, this was all of our first time visiting- and we had a ball!   That same week, my girl and I dressed up and attended her very first company banquet for dance, too much fun!  Lake days with friends are sooooo good for me- we've so enjoyed many of them this summer