Skip to main content

Christmas Traditions

The holidays are always filled with traditions, and though many of ours have changed over the years as our families get bigger, there are some that haven't and hopefully never will. We didn't have many traditions that we stuck to year after year, but the ones we did I cherish greatly. I hope to start many new traditions once we start having a family, I think they are a very important part of the holidays.

One of my favorite traditions began before I was even born and still continues on to this day. My dad's side of the family....what started as his parents, the three kids and their kids (which was only 4 of us grandchildren for 25 years) have always had someone read the Christmas story out of the Bible before we begin to open presents. My nannie started this and I hope to continue it forever. I think it is such an important experience for the children....you actually take a few minutes before the madness to truly think about the reason for the season. I was the one who read it mostly for years, being the youngest Grandchild...once everyone got older, it was left to me. I loved it though. Although neither one of my Grandparents is here to witness it anymore...we continue the tradition with what would be there great grandchildren. (They do have two grandchildren who they never got to meet that will read it one day as well, but they are still a little young...I have two beautiful first cousins who are 4 and 2!) We still read from my nannies Bible normally that her daughter keeps...it is and always will be one of my favorite things about the Richardson family Christmas. Over the years that "Christmas" has moved days, times, etc. because our family is so big now...but I truly hope no matter when we get together to celebrate Christmas we will always read the Christmas story first.

Another of my favorite traditions is Christmas Eve...although a lot of gatherings have changed over the years, this one never has. My mom always did Christmas Eve with her dad's side of the family growing up and that hasn't changed to this day. Ever since I was born we celebrated Christmas Eve with my mom's parents and her brother and his family. That is what Christmas Eve is to me...the tradition part is about the food, it may seem silly, but it really is why I love Christmas Eve. We always eat steak, potatoes and salad, ALWAYS. Never once has this changed... and I love it. I remember when I was a little girl we would get those "Larry cheese potato" things...yummm. Now, we make two huge potato casseroles, which is one of my favorite dishes ever. My family (immediate, parents, brother and wife) will always celebrate on Christmas Eve together now too...we kind of decided this once both my brother and I got married since we did it anyways. We do Christmas Day with our in laws...even though Mikey and I still spend the night with my parents Christmas Eve and probably will till we have kids that are old enough to know about Santa, and then my parents will probably stay with us! That's what my grandparents always did...and I want my kids to have that same experience. We are fortunate that we live in the same town as my parents so this isn't a big deal.

A tradition that has died that I loved...well, I don't know if you can call it a "tradition" per se...but when I was little, every year on Christmas Eve when we would be driving home from my Grandparents house...my dad would turn on the radio and find out where Santa was. I remember getting so excited!

I love this time of year...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2019 family Village Creek trip

Our 2019 summer family vacation was everything I could have asked for, and more!  This year, my parents and nephew joined us for the week so we had extra fun!  (and extra chaos of course, too!)  We did ALL the things, but yet also did ALL the relaxing.  We arrived on G and T's actual, bday so we started our trip with a special birthday lunch in downtown Beaufort with just the boys since Collins rode down with my mom.  We also finally experienced the drive in movie that night for Toy Story 4 and it was AWESOME!  We only had one day of cloudy weather so that was awesome!  We ventured to Bohicket Marina, Harbor Town, Harbor Island, Edisto Island, Botany Bay, our favorite sandbar AND downtown Beaufort by boat, we had a ball!   My dad got some AMAZING fireworks and we had a little show for the culdesac, so much fun!!  Mikey and I even got to sneak out one night for a date night, headed to our fav, Sal

My Pinterest inspired master bedroom makeover part one.

The BEFORE pictures. I've been itching to re-do my master bedroom for quite some time now. I am one of those people that likes to re decorate quite often...unfortunately for my bank account. Mikey's mom bought him a full queen sized bedroom suite when he graduated college, which was wonderful. It is very nice furniture and has served us well. But, I am SOOO sick of all the dark matchy-matchy look it brings. I will use this furniture again in a guest bedroom one day...but for now, it's time to retire it from my master. All of my bedding and rug I had previously...I've now had this zebra/brown/green theme for almost 4 years...so over it! Fortunately for us...my brother and SIL got a new bed...so what do we get?? Their old KING size bed!! Woohoo. I do NOT like for people to touch me when I sleep, I need my space...I've been wanting a king for so long. Even though our room isn't the biggest the king is working out okay...we aren't going to be in this h

These are the days.

Goodness gracious, I LOVE summer.  I talk it to death every year, but it is especially important to me during this season of life where the school year brings homework/schedules/strict bed times/extra curricular craziness- I appreciate the LAZY days of summer EVEN MORE. I've tried to be intentional about taking a half day here and there to soak up TIME with my babies.  Because Lord knows, they aren't babies for long.  (Yes, I'm referring to my 7 and 5 year olds as babies- #cantstopwontstop ) When we returned from our anniversary trip, we got back early on a Tuesday and used the rest of the day to spend quality family time together.  We took the kids to a local water park, this was all of our first time visiting- and we had a ball!   That same week, my girl and I dressed up and attended her very first company banquet for dance, too much fun!  Lake days with friends are sooooo good for me- we've so enjoyed many of them this summer