Skip to main content

9 yrs ago. v. 2 yrs ago: conflicted feelings.

September 11 now is a day of conflicted feelings for me. It is one of the saddest and happiest days of my life. How can that be? It really is hard for me to be happy when i think back on what occurred to our country on that day.

I was a freshman, sitting in a Music Appreciation (required elective) class; I remember it vividly. We were only a mere days into classes, so I was still so nervous. About 20 minutes into class....someone told the teacher (actually interrupted him and I was scared for him at first) that a plane had just crashed into the WTC. I was so confused, huh? What does he mean? I think, like a lot of other people in the world I was extremely naive at that point in time on terrorism. I had NO clue what was going on. Luckily, our teacher had the foresight to let us go after checking on the students allegations. (Funny thought: I guess this student received a text or something, I really don't' think I texted back then...he must have been advanced!) Anyways, next thing I know my roomie (BEST friend) and I are sitting on our beds BAWLING as we watched the tv. I just didn't understand. I don't remember the exact time frame of everything, but I do know at some point my dad called and wanted me to head out to my mom's school (away from the capital city). Obviously we know in hindsight, nothing was coming towards measly Columbia, SC...but because it was the capital city and we do have a extremely large army fort here, he was nervous and you can never be too safe. I think over the next few days/weeks I was dumbfounded at what we discovered was the reason for the attacks. I did not know anyone that was killed due to these events, but regardless my heart aches for those who lost loved ones. I stand proud as an American of the way our country came together and handled a very terrible situation. I pray often for those who were so incredibly brave during that time and lost their life fighting for our beloved country. If you have not done so yet, go visit the memorial next to the old site of the WTC in New York. It is the most heart wrenching AND awe inspiring thing I have ever witnessed. 9 years later, God Bless America. Thank you to all who gave their lives and those who continue to do so in the name of freedom. GOD BLESS THE USA. This picture still gives me chills every time I see it.


Fast forward 7 years. September 11, 2008, Mikey proposed! I don't know if he really thought about the date at the time, and I know life goes on and things will continue to occur on that date...but it still is a really weird thing for me to think about. I know so many people still struggle every day because of what happened on that date, and now I have one of my favorite memories ever to take place on September 11. Regardless, it does make my heart smile when I think about our engagement. It was a Thursday night and he caught me completely off guard. I kinda knew we would be getting engaged sometime that fall, but I really did NOT expect it to be that soon. We were supposed to be going to a young professionals type dinner/drinks thing....on the way he detoured towards an amazing restaurant downtown, neither one of us had ever been to (Hampton Street Vineyard, it is so yummy!) He told me that he wanted to surprise me because I had been so stressed lately. I had just finished law school and couldn't find a job! I thought NOTHING of it thru dinner. We really just had a nice dinner and enjoyed each others company. We even got the recipe for his meal, because it was seriously amazing. When we went to leave, we walked outside and there was a horse and carriage right in front. I immediately flipped out. (You have to understand Columbia isn't the type of town to have horse and carriage rides and stuff) The restaurant was also pretty empty...AND I had been telling him I wanted to do a horse and carriage ride, although I really meant a historic tour kind in Beaufort. Oh well! This was MUCH better=) I just had this feeling it was for us, sure enough Mikey walked out behind me (he was a little slower b/c he snagged a bottle of wine for our ride) and said hop on! I was giddy with excitement, I knew deep down at this point that he was going to propose. Of course, I wasn't going to say anything, but I just knew. We really aren't the "romantic" couple type, so I knew if he was going all out like this there was a good reason! Our carriage ride took us down Columbia's Main Street....again, you have to know Columbia's Main street is unfortunately dead at night....so it was so cool, really just us and the open sky. It was a pretty surreal moment. The carriage stopped in front of the Horseshoe on Carolina's campus. I about died.
The Horseshoe is the prettiest part of our campus...I had always told Mikey that I regretted not spending more time there while in college. The story went something about now I would have a reason to come here more often, this is where he wanted to spend the rest of his life with me (i.e. Columbia), etc. I don't really remember much except for saying OMG, shut up! *Real romantic huh!?!* Seriously though, I was over the moon excited! We then headed back to the restaurant to get our car and in true Caroline and Mikey fashion, called every friend we knew and told them to get their asses out, we were going out to celebrate!

On the carriage ride, I was so nervous knowing what was coming!
Stupid blurry camera, this was taken by the carriage driver right when we got back!
Fabulous girl friends came to celebrate.
My fiance and I.=)
Still celebrating.
Some of the boys.

Comments

  1. What a great proposal story! The boy did good! : ) Y'all make a great couple...so cute!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2019 family Village Creek trip

Our 2019 summer family vacation was everything I could have asked for, and more!  This year, my parents and nephew joined us for the week so we had extra fun!  (and extra chaos of course, too!)  We did ALL the things, but yet also did ALL the relaxing.  We arrived on G and T's actual, bday so we started our trip with a special birthday lunch in downtown Beaufort with just the boys since Collins rode down with my mom.  We also finally experienced the drive in movie that night for Toy Story 4 and it was AWESOME!  We only had one day of cloudy weather so that was awesome!  We ventured to Bohicket Marina, Harbor Town, Harbor Island, Edisto Island, Botany Bay, our favorite sandbar AND downtown Beaufort by boat, we had a ball!   My dad got some AMAZING fireworks and we had a little show for the culdesac, so much fun!!  Mikey and I even got to sneak out one night for a date night, headed to our fav, Sal

My Pinterest inspired master bedroom makeover part one.

The BEFORE pictures. I've been itching to re-do my master bedroom for quite some time now. I am one of those people that likes to re decorate quite often...unfortunately for my bank account. Mikey's mom bought him a full queen sized bedroom suite when he graduated college, which was wonderful. It is very nice furniture and has served us well. But, I am SOOO sick of all the dark matchy-matchy look it brings. I will use this furniture again in a guest bedroom one day...but for now, it's time to retire it from my master. All of my bedding and rug I had previously...I've now had this zebra/brown/green theme for almost 4 years...so over it! Fortunately for us...my brother and SIL got a new bed...so what do we get?? Their old KING size bed!! Woohoo. I do NOT like for people to touch me when I sleep, I need my space...I've been wanting a king for so long. Even though our room isn't the biggest the king is working out okay...we aren't going to be in this h

These are the days.

Goodness gracious, I LOVE summer.  I talk it to death every year, but it is especially important to me during this season of life where the school year brings homework/schedules/strict bed times/extra curricular craziness- I appreciate the LAZY days of summer EVEN MORE. I've tried to be intentional about taking a half day here and there to soak up TIME with my babies.  Because Lord knows, they aren't babies for long.  (Yes, I'm referring to my 7 and 5 year olds as babies- #cantstopwontstop ) When we returned from our anniversary trip, we got back early on a Tuesday and used the rest of the day to spend quality family time together.  We took the kids to a local water park, this was all of our first time visiting- and we had a ball!   That same week, my girl and I dressed up and attended her very first company banquet for dance, too much fun!  Lake days with friends are sooooo good for me- we've so enjoyed many of them this summer